Air Conditioners Buying Guide
What size air conditioner do I need?
Finding the right air conditioner depends on numerous factors including: room size; ceiling height; insulation; size of windows; level of sunlight and more.
Here's our rough guide to the air conditioner capacity (size) you'll need for a particular room size.
|Up to 20 sq m||2–2.5kW|
|20–40 sq m||2.5–5kW|
|40–60 sq m||4–6kW|
|60–80 sq m||5–7kW|
|80+ sq m||6–9kW|
Tip: Choose a model with equal or slightly greater capacity for the room. For example, if you calculate the room needs a 6kW model, it's probably a safer bet to get a model slightly above the required capacity than slightly below it, as a little extra grunt may help in extreme temperatures. But don't go too much above the required capacity.
Click to see our Split System
A proper calculation takes all the room's details into account:
- The size of the room: length, width and height.
- The type of room: living room, open-plan living room and kitchen, bedroom, etc.
- The size and orientation of the windows and glass doors. A large north- or west-facing window can let in a lot of heat in summer.
- Shading and curtains on the windows.
- Insulation of the floor, ceiling, and walls.
- The local climate.
Try the size calculator on fairair.com.au by the Australian Institute of Refrigeration, Air Conditioning and Heating (AIRAH).